Thursday, November 22, 2007

a shell on a blanket of sand.

this summer, the week before i moved back to troy, i went to the beach with my family and i found a beautiful shell. it is strange, and i think that is why it is so beautiful to me. ever since i found it, it has been in my room on my desk, begging me to write about it. i've tried a few times, and have finally written something. it may be subject to change, but i wanted to share my poem inspired by that sea shell... and naturally, get creative feedback.

---

"a shell on a blanket of sand"

the grains of sand that have
faithfully held the ocean's waves
now latch onto its side.

curve upon curve
the nautical coil rests
within that very sand.

grains small and hard to notice
their residence found in the hard, rippled edge
stuck by the very sea they held.

dust to dust created
dust to dust attached
dust to dust they will return.

such that when those very grains touch bare toes
you may sit and think of me a while
the waves sliding under you and pulling you in.

No comments: