Thursday, October 2, 2008

strange tragedy.

the other night as i walked up to the back door of my dorm, i saw the greenest grasshopper rested delicately on the door handle. i knew it must be on its haunches, ready to spring. the quick movements startle me and make me tense. i proceeded to let out an "eep!" and head to the other door of the dorm.

later that night, i entered the back door again and as i headed up the stairs to my second floor room, there perched my brightgreen nemesis. i froze, and backed down the stairs. as i opened the door to leave and go to the other door, he sprang! i screamed and dashed out of the dorm.

i was frustrated because i had to go out of my way twice, but it was worth it to get away. i hated to see them jump sporadically the way they tend to do.

i walked into that same door today and something caught my eye.

it was a strange sort of justice to see Brightgreen lying dead on the floor.
the sort of justice that didn't feel just at all.

4 comments:

he's_a_fighter said...

Actually, this would be me, Erin.

(sorry, I have no idea how long comment has been up there)

I tried to keep this blog up, but I guess my terrible need for validation in other readers and commentary on my writings somewhat exasperated me from trying any further to continue my blog here.

Today was the first time in ... a long time... that I actually checked this blog.

So... I hope you have a nice day!

Oh..and I guess now I should actually read this post on which I am off-topic commenting.

God bless :]

he's_a_fighter said...

Ah, yes. My nemesis, however, seems to be two dogs from my neighbor's house. They bark at us about everything. We can't even check the mail, take out the garbage, walk the dog, mow the lawn...
They're an annoyance.
Then one day Sheria got a cat.
The next day, the dogs mutilated the cat to death.
Since that day I have wished a great deal of evil upon those dogs.

Yet, every now and then I find myself second-guessing myself about that...I realize that if they did get suddenly dissolved into air or haphazardly tortured by something unexpected and terrible, I wouldn't really feel all that relieved.

It would kind of make me feel sad, in a very self-betraying sort of way, that is.

But, at least you don't have to worry about the antagonizing grasshopper anymore.

Ryan said...

If you only knew how oddly relevant this is to me. I'm kinda weirded out actually.

I love this btw. Wish I posted it...

Grace Cartwright Aspinwall said...

that was at once...brilliant and adorable. i love your writing :)