Thursday, August 27, 2009

austin, tx. :)

i haven't blogged in a WHILE, and for that i apologize. i've had a ridiculously hectic time this summer, juggling multiple jobs and then, of course, moving here -- to austin, tx. now that my move is complete, i'd like to keep you updated.

i have a cute 400 square foot apartment, with rent that's super low at about $450. i love being here and though it lacks the "erin flair" right now, i'm positive it will happen over time and you'll be able to walk in and know i live there. :P i live in close community to tons of other seminarians that i'm close with, so it's a very nice place to be.

as soon as i really got even somewhat settled and started attending seminary events, i knew this is where i was meant to be for the next three years of my life. when bad things happen, i may feel like this isn't where i'm meant to be, but i know there is an overwhelming peace here about my life and how i should be formed for my calling.

the only current bad news would be that i have a virus. someone i don't know very well, but someone compassionate obviously, took me to a minute clinic this morning and i was told i probably just have a random virus that i have to be patient with and just sort of push through. it's been difficult, because it's taken away a lot of sleep amidst SO much to do, but i know it'll be okay, i just want it to end super quickly. like right now. actually, speaking of right now, i'm awake because my sore throat is preventing me from sleeping.

a positive to being sick so early would certainly be that i've already seen so much kindness from the people around me. everyone's asked about me and done things for me and been super sweet. i love my class. while i feared that no one would be my age, there are many single girls for me to hang out with and really neat and wonderful younger married couples that are delightful to be around. i have no complaints about the people in my class.

since i got here, every night that i wasn't sick i've had the opportunity to go out with people from my class and had a fantastic time. people are super sweet and we have random theological conversations amidst silly conversations, which is just how i like my talks to be seasoned. i feel like i can be myself and i desperately need that. thanks be to God. :)

now that i've explained how great everything is, i should list my class schedule:

Biblical Languages for Preaching and Teaching: Hebrew
Biblical Studies: History and Hermeneutics I
Spiritual Formation of the Person
Liturgical Music I
Text and Context: Tools for Experiential Learning
Intro to the History of Christianity: Apostolic Era to 1650
Writing for Ministry
Liturgy and Ascesis: The Way the Church Teaches

Total: 16.5 Hours

the last class listed is the elective i want to take, so it could change if it happens to already be full. anyway, 16.5 hours is a TON, but i'm sure it will be alright. i'm not the first person to do this. ;)

tomorrow we get assigned work studies, which i'm so excited about, making me the hugest nerd ever, lol. i will blog what i was assigned to do.

OH. sunday i got to visit a church in dripping springs, tx and i enjoyed it. i can already tell i will be broken out of my understanding of episcopalian worship throughout this year as i visit churches, but i think it will be an interesting and positive experience that is very important for my formation. speaking of what i'm used to, i really really really miss st. mark's. if i have one lamentation, it is that i could not take my family, church family, and friends family with me to austin. still, i know this is for the best, so that i can break out of comfort zones and continue in the process of becoming who i am meant to be, with God's help.

i love you all and miss you very dearly.

No comments: