Sunday, August 31, 2008

this i believe.

i believe in the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit.
i believe God loves those who are created by God unconditionally.
i believe that all are given the opportunity to be adopted into righteousness.
i believe in an all inclusive Church.

i am a heterosexual gay rights activist.
i am not ashamed of that.

i will love unconditionally, in the Christ-like agape way.
i will fight for justice on behalf of those who are oppressed.
i will embrace the notion that ALL means ALL.
i will extend my love past those that are like me.
i will love all races, genders, and sexualities.
i will not oppress those that are the "other."
i will not use the Bible to do violence to others.
i will love the unloved.
i will do everything in my power to do the work of the First and Second commandments.

... with God's help.

i have the tendency to fail.
i have the ability to pick myself up and fight again.

if i am silent when someone needs to speak,
if i sit down when i need to stand up,
if i am fearful when i need to be courageous --

forgive me, Lord.

this i believe.

3 comments:

. said...

I know what your meaning is when you say "i am a heterosexual gay rights activist," but I disagree with the wording (and possibly your intent, not sure). I think that people deserve/have rights as people, and not as members of any particular group. Thus, I wouldn't say I support gay rights; rather, I would support the rights due to people in general (which I do), and homosexuals are people, thus the rights are theirs also.

Also, is the lower-case "i" intentional, in a Cummings sort of way?

. said...

The thing about Cummings' usage of the lower-case "i" was that (from what I have read) it was just a humbleness thing, to not emphasize himself. He used it at certain times, and wrote his name in the standard was at other times, depending on the situation. And btw, if you haven't read much or any of his stuff, I think you should. It will drive you insane about half of the time, but when you actually figure out some of his more obscure stuff it is worth it (I did a really big paper/presentation/project on him for a creative writing class last semester.).

Oh, and just so you know, I support the rights of people with brown hair and green eyes. And I am not ashamed of it.

. said...

So at the risk of being considered really strange I wanted to say that I was scanning through your pictures on facebook (I do it every time someone friends me) and I noticed the xkcd stuff. I LOVE XKCD. Are you actually a fan, or did someone just happen to show you a couple of them?