Tuesday, December 16, 2008

re-inventing morality.

I read an article this week that speaks about Newsweek’s decision to write on the issue of gay marriage. You can read the article I read here. Within the article you’ll notice this quote:

“[This] battle among Christians is a battle over Christian morality, over the notion that God does indeed expect His faithful followers to conduct themselves according to moral standards which are expressed in the Bible and taught faithfully in Christian tradition. Our relativistic age has had a problem with the whole idea, and is constantly re-inventing the notion of morality to mean whatever we want it to mean.”

I’m not going to argue with someone about whether or not morality means things to people these days, because when I see parents killing their children and spouses killing spouses, I wonder if there is any morality, too. It is a very strong word, morality, and it is used often in spiritual contexts to talk about our actions, words, and deeds.

My question is this – how is the action of “re-inventing morality” horrifying when done in the name of gay marriage, but ignored in the decision to not turn the other cheek, not feed the hungry, not to sell all possessions and give to the poor? Because, seriously, who accomplishes those things to the radical extent that is expressed in the gospels? I certainly don’t. While I am not condoning the re-inventing of morality, I’m wondering why, as the Church, we can’t seem to either a) quit claiming that we do things in the name of morality or b) actually live up to the standards/morality the Bible has set.

At times, I feel like this all results in looking past planks to find splinters. Of sinners, I am the worst.

PS: I'd also watch this: interesting commentary from BOTH.

2 comments:

he's_a_fighter said...

excellent points. excellent, excellent, excellent.

The question the church the church asks shouldn't be "Is homosexuality immoral," it should be "Are we ourselves moral?" Or, furthermore, "Are we the church actually following Christ, obeying his commands, imitating his example?"
The beautiful irony of it all is that the church is required, by nature, to DAILY ask this question of themselves. There is never supposed to be a time where the church could abandon this, as though they arrived at the place that they can start being a judge of morality on other people.

I think this what the apostle Paul meant when he said "Work out your own salvation with fear and trembling."

stephy said...

Thanks for writing about this.

Morality is essentially idolatry, I think. Beacause it leaves God entirely out of it.