Thursday, April 30, 2009

summer reading list suggestions.

hey everyone,

i'm taking suggestions for my summer reading list :) leave some comments with books you <3 and maybe i'll read them and <3 them too. if no one comments or i just read everything assigned by my priest/already on my list fairly quickly into the summer, i'll just try to read the complete works of salman rushdie [excepting satanic verses which i have already read] in like a month :) i may even try to keep myself to reading (or attempting to read) a whole book every week. anyway, suggest something!

blessings,
erin

3 comments:

Tony Hunt said...

Since you're headin' off to Seminary I'd recommend some Anglican works.

1) Former ABC Michael Ramsey's - "The Anglican Spirit,""The Christian Priest Today,""The Gospel & The Catholic Church," and "Be Still & Know" - Any combo really - Though "Priest Today" and "Gospel & C Church" are the two I would go with if you wanted to limit it.

2) You can get an "Everyman's Library" edition of the complete works of the Anglican priest/poet George Herbert - includes a very short book on being a "Country Parson"

3) Hooker's "Laws of Ecclesiastical Polity"

4) Paul Avis's "Anglican Ecclesiology"

I could add many more, but they seem to be pretty good pre-seminary books

Anonymous said...

Don't know if you are interested in reading books about other faiths, but I'm currently reading (slowly) a book entitled "Red, White and Muslim" by Asma Gull Hasan which I am enjoying.

Anonymous said...

1. "Jesus Wants to Save Christians"--Rob Bell. This is an excellent book that I highly recommend. It gives a whole now perspective to Christian thought. Rob bell also has another book "Velvet Elvis-Repainting the Chrisitan Faith' Once you read one who will want to read the other.

2. The Jesus Creed--also another excellent book which focues on Jesus 2 commandments to us to love God and one another. This is a fascinitating book.

3. "Evangelicals in the Liturgical Church." As an up and comming Episcopal I think that you will enjoy this one.

David
davidb956@hotmail.com